Saturday 21 December 2013

Ten of The Best... Things About Christmas





oh my god guys it's like 3 days until Christmas *squeals*
Now, I absolutely adore Christmas, I just love it so much. So I figured since it's nearly Christmas, why not do a Christmassy blog for a change and ramble on about why I love the 25th of December so much.
So here is my list of the Ten of the Best Things About Christmas.

1) Food

Is Christmas dinner ever not amazing? The answer to that is no, Christmas dinner is always amazing. There's just so much food that you don't tend to have throughout the year like turkey (sorry Rhona), and aaaall the puddings. To be honest I don't really eat much of the traditional dinner as I hate stuffing and vegetables, but my god do I eat a lot of turkey over the festive period.

2) Chocolate

Still technically food, but another thing that I consume in mightily unhealthy quantities is chocolate.Whether it's chocolate santas, coins or reindeer, chocolate is one thing that is always around at Christmas and always enjoyable.


3) Lights On Houses

I'll admit, there's a fine line between beautiful and tacky, and there's definitely a house in Crosswood that left tacky far behind and went straight for 'wtf?', but is there anything nicer than driving past a house that has amazing lights on it? Well yes, there are many things, but light displays are just a way of making even dark plain houses look all festive and jolly. Until you go to America and they have light/sound displays...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jWN5Myxtwg
Beautiful










4. Christmas Trees & Decorations

I love walking into people's houses and seeing them covered in Christmas decorations with a massive Christmas tree in one room. In our house, we have one big Christmas tree and 4 mini ones, because we're clearly cool people. There's just something about seeing how different people decorate trees,and all the different types of decorations that can make a house look magical. Plus my tree has this on it. Beat that...
I came in on a Christmas baaaall


5) Christmas Jumpers

Once a cheesy thing Toddler-You was forced into wearing by your parents, now the coolest things ever. Man I love Christmas jumpers. If it were socially acceptable I would wear Christmas jumpers all year round. Unfortunately though, it's not, so I can't. Maybe one day *sniffle*
Year-round equality for Xmas Jumpers


6. Christmas Clothes

Yes, I am counting this as a separate thing to jumpers. Personally, I own a Santa outfit style tshirt, and a Santa onesie, both of which will be getting worn in public on Christmas Eve and Boxing Day respectively and nothing anyone can say or do will make me change my mind about this.


7. Presents

Now, personally, I like buying presents as much as I like getting them. Call me selfish for saying I like getting presents, but I dare you to disagree. Except for that one year when I was 14 and all EVERYONE bought me was Soap And Glory. Not sure if they were giving me a hint, or if it was just popular. I'd prefer the latter.

I have a slight confession to make here. I saw something online which I thought would be the perfect Christmas present for a specific person. And so I came up with a plan. I offered to choose the names for Secret Santa which made it seem like I was just being nice when in actual fact I had the ulterior motive of manipulating the results so I was buying for the person I had seen the present for. I am a (not very) Evil Genius.


8. Hot Chocolateeee

There is nothing better after coming inside from the freezing cold, windy, wet and generally horrible Scottish weather than getting a nice warm (not too hot) mug of cocoa. Absolutely nothing. Add some whipped cream and you've got the best reason to go outside in your hands.


9. Christmas Music!

We own about 7 cds that my dad made from all different Christmas songs, and we didn't even use all the songs available. In short, Christmas music is amazing. Whether it's sad (Coldplay), happy (take your pick), childish (Grandma Got Run Over By A Reindeer) or by the Pogues, everyone has a Christmas song that they love and that makes them feel festive. Although I have about 25 personal favourites, Shakin Stevens' Merry Christmas Everyone and Slade's Merry Christmas Everybody have to be my two absolute favourite Christmas songs ever.


10. Family

Aww look, a cheesy one to end on. Personally, I view Christmas Eve, Christmas Day and Boxing Day as family days and I would never spend them with friends or out clubbing (future relationships may change that). But at the moment, I spend those three days with both close and extended family, with the exception of a tradition of a Chinese on Christmas Eve with the Hinds in one of our houses which isn't happening this year because they're flying over to sunny South Africa, the lucky buggers. But I will never understand people who go out clubbing on Christmas Eve. Are you crazy? You'll be all tired for Santa coming!



Picking 10 things was hard because there are so many great things about Christmas, but I had to narrow it down as otherwise you'd be here reading this blog until after Christmas and you'd even miss all the leftover turkey.
Other contenders for the list were; snow, Santa coming round the street, cards, making bets on whether Buble will suddenly reappear with a Christmas album after a year of being absent, anticipation and waking up to find a full stocking at the end of your bed (I swear I'm 19 not 5)

This blog was short for a few reasons: 1, I don't want to boring, 2, the dog jumped on my laptop and broke the spacebar and down arrow so typing this has been hell and 3, it's 3.41am and I'm starting to get tired.


So yeah, here are the reasons why I like Christmas. Leave a comment below giving your reasons for Christmas, whether there's 10 or just 1, I'd be interested to see what other people love about the most wonderful time of the year.


And last but not least:






No comments:

Post a Comment