Thursday 2 May 2013

Life, Hamsters and Holidays, and Revolution

So admittedly it's been a whiiile since I blogged, but honestly there's not been that much that's happened recently that's out of the ordinary.
So this blog is basically a short highlight reel of the last 2 months, and then I'm going to discuss Revolution for a bit, because Revolution should always be discussed, but more on that later.

So, life. It's still going, fortunately for me.
Thinking back over the last two months there has genuinely not been anything really interesting to happen. My mum had her operation to get her tumor removed, and it turns out it wasn't attached to an ovary or bowel like they feared and instead was basically hanging from her abdominal wall. Annoyingly this means that only 2 and a weeks after the operation she drove for the first time today. I have loved being the sole driver of Lily, and just getting to go out when I wanted but sadly that freedom is no more. Mel Gibson would be disappointed in me. Sorry Mel. #sadface

Also, I tidied my room a few weeks ago and found DVDs of all six Star Wars films. It shows how messy my room is that I have no idea how they got there, and no idea that I even had the dvds. But hey, Saturday is May the 4th, so at least I now have the dvds to watch for Star Wars Day.

If the title wasn't enough of a spoiler alert I got hamsters last week. Flash and Robin; named after Kid Flash and Robin, two of the founding members of Young Justice (in the tv series at least). Unfortunately, it turns out Flash was an evil little bastard which was proved as he flipped his brother over one night and proceeded to eat his throat Walking Dead style. It wasn't much fun trying to separate them, I'll tell you that. After a night spent in the bathtub because we had nowhere else to put him, Flash was returned to Pets At Home and Robin became sole occupier of his rather large cage. And how has he thanked me for saving his life? He deliberately bites my finger and holds on every time I put my hand in the cage. Feeling the love.

Also, I tried dying my hair red again on Monday night. This happened:

I don't know if you can see it properly, but the roots went bright red, the majority of my hair was brown and the ends were black. It was awful. I then redyed it brown on Tuesday, and attempted to redye it red on Thursday, but it hasn't really worked. Ah well, I'll give it a month and try again. And yes, that is what my hair looks like if I let it dry naturally, even when it was brushed when wet, and then again in the morning.
Also I've just noticed that Spider-Man's face lines up with my own. This makes me happy.

On to the holidays part. I left my exam early at 10.58 after nearly breaking down because when I opened my paper my brain went "How do I science?" and continued to fail me for the entire exam. Thanks Brain. But anyway: HOLIDAYS. Until the 9th of September! (Unless I fail and have to do resits in the summer) But woo! 135 days of holidays. I had a solo chippy to celebrate while crying at how bad White Chicks was. Because seriously, it's awful.

So yeah, life hasn't been all that interesting. But now you're caught up on it.

Oh my god: Revolution.
It's crap. But weirdly, this is what makes it so good. It was created by Eric Kripke (creator of Supernatural; which I love and is on season 8), so I thought I would check it out. I don't know what happened to Eric Kripke, but I think the creative part of his brain must have been damaged somehow before he wrote this show.
There's not one bad aspect; it's several things that make it bad. Billy Burke who plays the main guy seems to have about one facial expression, the characters make stupid decisions all the time (Especially Charlie, but I'll talk about her in a minute), 15 years have passed since the flashbacks but only the kids have visibly aged at all (seriously they don't even attempt to make them look younger), various plot points are made to seem incredibly important, but are never brought up again, while things that are mentioned vaguely suddenly seem to change everything.
But oh lord: Charlie. To sum up the premise without spoiling it, all the power has gone out in the world: batteries, electricity, even cars. Everything. The show starts 15 years later, when some Militia guys turn up to a small village to take a man (Ben) away to their leader because Ben knows stuff about the power. Ben's son  Danny then acts like an asshole and threatens to shoot a crossbow at the 20-odd guys who are armed with machine guns. Yep, Danny's an idiot. Ben gets shot, and Danny gets kidnapped by the militia leaving his sister Charlie to get him back with the help of her Uncle.
It sounds like it could be alright. But every little thing the characters do is just so stupid, and so random and so unlike previous decisions they've made. Especially Charlie, who seems to run into situations and then ending up needed saved. Which she does at least once or twice an episode. The best episodes are when Charlie gets punched in the face.

And yet the weird thing with the show is that it's great. It's great because it's so bad. It's great because you want to see just how stupid the characters (CHARLIE) can be, you want to see if it can get any worse. And weirdly enough there was a point about midway through the season where it got kind of good. But don't worry! The last episode aired so far was back to it's crappy ways.

I'm not going to talk about this for too long, because I could genuinely discuss Revolution's crappy ways for hours. But I also keep watching it because it's great. So basically I'm just urging you all to watch it. Even just the pilot episode: and then let me know what you thought of it. It's only 42 minutes of your time, and you never know, you might end up like me and love it for being rubbish.
So yeah, watch it and comment here what you thought: I'd love to know (no sarcasm here). I know I love it, purely because it's so shit.

Goodnight my friends!

2 comments:

  1. You know I thought you were actually going to have a serious conversation about revolution, like people revoluting and stuff. Trust you to make it about a TV show. Revoluting? Revolting? I think it's revolting but I didn't want you to think I meant revolting people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Revoluting should be a word :P
      And if I had a serious conversation about something you'd find it boring :P
      But you should watch (or attempt to watch) Revolution :D

      Delete